HESI A&P Skeletal System
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What makes up the body's framework?
Bone, cartilage, ligaments, and joints.
Functions of the skeletal system:
- Hematopoiesis (Blood formation)
- Protection of internal organs
- Provision for muscle attachment
- Mineral storage (Calcium & Phosphorus)
Each end of a long bone
The epiphysis is mainly made up of _______
the shaft of the bone
The diaphysis is mainly composed of _______ bone.
Cells that form bone.
a fixed osteoblast cell that stops dividing and sits within the lacunae of the bone.
Axial skeleton consists of __ bones in the skull.
The 28 bones in the skull divide into the __ facial bones and the __ bones of the cranium.
Name the 14 Facial bones:
- 2 Nasal
- 2 Maxillary
- 2 Zygomatic
- 1 Mandible
- 2 Palatine
- 1 Vomer
- 2 Lacrimal
- 2 Inferior Nasal Conchae
Name the Cranial bones:
- 1 Occipital
- 1 Frontal
- 1 Ethmoid
- 1 Sphenoid
- 1 Parietal
- 1 Temporal
- 3 Ear Ossicles (Malleus, Incus, & Stapes)
The axial skeleton also has __ bones of the vertebral column.
Name the vertebral bones:
- 7 Cervical Vertebrae
- 12 Thoracic
- 5 Lumbar
- 5 fused Sacral vertebrae (forms Sacrum)
- 1 Coccygeal vertebrae (aka Tailbone)
Name the bones of the Thorax:
Appendicular Skeleton is made up of the...
The upper portion of the appendicular skeleton consists of....
- Pectoral or Shoulder Girdle
- Upper extremity (arm)
Name the bones of the arms...
- Carpals (wrist bones)
- Metacarpals (Bones of hand)
- Phalanges (Bones of the fingers)
The lower portion of the appendicular skeleton consists of....
- Pelvic Girdle or Os Coxae
- Lower Exremities
Name the fused bones of the Os Coxae...
Name the bones of the legs...
- Tarsals (ankle bones)
- Metatarsals (bones of the foot)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview