The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Ovarian Menstrual Cycle:
When does it begin?
How many cycles? What are they?
- a. Begins at puberty
- i. Once a month cycle (use month loosely= cycles are like 28 days, but other days may be 26 or 33)
- 1. Must be consistency
- b. Two cycles go on at same time at different places
- i. Ovarian cycle and menstrual
What happens there?
- 1. Takes place in ovaries and is where the primary oocyte reinitiates meiosis I
- a. Complete meiosis I and begin meiosis II as the secondary oocyte, which will be released from the ovary in a process called ovulation
- i. It now can be fertilized
Objective of the ovarian cycle?
1. Objective: to get the primary oocyte to mature sufficiently that it can be ovulated, released from the ovary and into the fallopian tube
What does the ovarian cycle include?
- 1. Also includes the follicle cells of some of the follicles producing mostly estrogen initially and later progesterone
What do follicle cells do?
a. Follicle cells produce female hormones throughout ovarian cycle
Begins with what?
1. Occurs in uterus and begins with menses, which is bleeding and which is sloughing off of most of endometrium that was made the month before
Most of the __ is sloughing off.
inner layer of the uterus (endometrium= glandular epithelial layer
1. Renewal of __to its maximum height
a. Process it renews is mitosis
2. Depending on whether or not fertilization occurs, __will or will not occur
a. If there is a pregnancy, __ will not occur because__
i. If it sloughs off, the __goes with it
- in that endometrium is the fertilized egg