The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Acorn barnacle (many spp.)
- note: 6 uneven, ridged shell plates
- Gooseneck barnacle: Pollicipes polymerus
- note: often associated with beds of the mussel
- eat: particulate organics including algae and detritus, also eat brine shrimp and copepods.
- California spiny lobster: Panulirus interruptus
- notes: unlike east coast lobster, no front claws. Can live to be up to 25-50 years old
- (California) Mantis shrimp: Hemisquilla californiensis
- eat: aggressive predators that feed primarily on fish, crabs, snails, and shrimp
- note: produces sounds by vibrating its carapace. eyes are stalked and mobile, providing excellent eyesight. Mantis shrimp
- also use a pair of specialized mouthparts, the raptorial appendages, to catch their prey
- Bay ghost shrimp: Neotrypaea californiensis
- eat: plankton, detritus
- notes: One enlarged claw, esp in males (for mating probably). Can survive without oxygen for as long as six days! Used as bait. Sand from burrows harmful to oyster beds.