Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Acorn barnacle (many spp.)
- note: 6 uneven, ridged shell plates
- Gooseneck barnacle: Pollicipes polymerus
- note: often associated with beds of the mussel
- eat: particulate organics including algae and detritus, also eat brine shrimp and copepods.
- California spiny lobster: Panulirus interruptus
- notes: unlike east coast lobster, no front claws. Can live to be up to 25-50 years old
- (California) Mantis shrimp: Hemisquilla californiensis
- eat: aggressive predators that feed primarily on fish, crabs, snails, and shrimp
- note: produces sounds by vibrating its carapace. eyes are stalked and mobile, providing excellent eyesight. Mantis shrimp
- also use a pair of specialized mouthparts, the raptorial appendages, to catch their prey
- Bay ghost shrimp: Neotrypaea californiensis
- eat: plankton, detritus
- notes: One enlarged claw, esp in males (for mating probably). Can survive without oxygen for as long as six days! Used as bait. Sand from burrows harmful to oyster beds.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview