The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Religion can be seen as a conservative force in two ways..
- 1. It upholds traditional beliefs
- 2. Functions to conserve things as they are
Religion's Conservative functions
- 1. Religion and Consensus
- 2. Religion and Capitalism
- 3. Religion and Patriarchy
Who said that religion could be a force for change?
His study was called?
- The Protestant Ethic and the spirit of Capitalism
1. Who founded?
2. When did it emerge?
3. Weber's point was?
- 1. John Calvin
- 2. 16th and 17th centuries
- 3. Calvinism fuelled the 'spirit of capitalism'
1. ? def?
2. ? def?
3. ? def?
- 1. Predestination. God has predetermined who is going to heaven. Their deeds cannot change this but they looked for signs by working hard.
- 2. Divine Transcendence. No one can claim to know God's will, so people didn't know if they were saved or not. Caused salvation panic.3. Asceticism - refraining from luxury and working hard
Religion and Social Protest
two examples of religiously inspired movements..
- 1. Steve Bruce
- 2. American Civil Rights Movement
- The New Christian Right
American Civil Rights movement
1. Led by?
2. Bruce sees religion as a ________ _______. Using the civil rights movement as an example, these are the reasons why religion equipped to support protests.
- 1. Martin Luther King
- ideological resource1. Taking the moral high ground
- 2. Channelling dissent
- 3. Acting as an honest broker
- 4. Mobilising public opinion
Why have the New Christian Right been Unsuccessful?
- 1. Moral Majority was never a majority - 15% at most.
- 2. Uncooperative with other religious groups
- 3. Lack widespread support
Marxism, Religion and Change