ADJUS 1 Finals
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Top 3 reasons why people choose police work
- Serve Public
3 Levels of Federal Court System
- 1. US Supreme Court
- 2. US Circuit Courts of Appeal
- 3. US District Courts
How long do you have after the incident to legally file a claim with the police department?
4 Complaint disposition
- 1. Unfounded-did not occur
- 2. Exonerated-did occur but justified
- 3. Not sustained-insufficient evidence to prove/disprove allegations
- 4. Sustained-act allegedly occured
The Federal Court System
- 51 separate court system:
- 1 Federal
- 50 State system
Who is the US Supreme Court Chief Justice?
Chief Justice John Roberts
US Supreme Court
- 1 Chief Justice
- 8 Associate Justices
- nominated by the POTUS
- confirmed by the US Senate
US Circuit of Appeals
- 12 regional circuit courts of appeals
- 1 circuit courts of appeals for the federal courts
- Established in 1978 by congress under the Foreign Interlligence Surveillance Act.
- Federal judges rotates
- Suspects are denied some rights.
Why is Terminal Island the 1st prison corporation?
- Federal Prison Industries a US govt program that use prison labor for refurbish, repair, and recondition office furniture, equipment, tires, and etc.
- wages: $0.12-$1.35/hr
Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) Terminal Island
- -med security
- -all male facility
- -approx 1K senteced federal offenders
- -an Immigration Hearing Site
When did FCI Terminal Island became part of the Reservation Point?
June 16, 1936
Reservation Point was also known as "_ __ __" before it became part of FCI Terminal Island.
"Dead Man's Island"
When did FCI Terminal Island went under construction?
How much was the cost for the institution (FCI TI)?
- WW II FCI TI was commisioned as a Naval Disciplinary Barracks
- -housed cour-martialed prisoners
- -deactivated by the Navy on June 30, 1950
- Leased by the state of California
- -converted into a Medical Facility
- -700 convicted felons
FCI TI_Bureau of Prison
- -Resumed administration from 1955-present
- -became the only fed facility to house both men and women prisoners
- -1977 women were moved to the new women's facility at Pleasanton, CA
FCI TI_current stat
- -all males
- -1130 inmates
- -average age: 36 yrs
- -most are incarcerated for drug related offenses
- -large number of Hispanic inmates due to Immigration Hearing Site
CA Levels of Courts
- 1. CA Supreme Courts
- -7 justices
- 2. Court of Appeal
- -6 Appelate district
- 3. Suprior Courts
- -58 in the state (for each county)
- -total of 1499 judges
Who is the Chief Justice of CA Supreme Court
What percentage of family in CA live in a poverty level?
African America poverty rate:
12% - 17%
How many people are currently unemployed in CA?
over 1M people
Poverty capital in the entire US?
Long Beach, CA
Poverty in LB:
- -19% live below federal poverty level
- -rate of children in poverty was above the national state and local averages 27%
- - 18-64 yrs old 57%
- <18 yrs old 38%
- 65 and older 5%
- -Married couples 45%
- Single Female household 31%
- -Hispanics 55%
- Blacks 17%
- Asians 14%
The maximum amount of $ a prisoner can spend in the prison canteen.
4 security levels in prison
- Level 1 - open dorm w/out secure perimeter
- Level 2 - open dorm w/secure perimeter fences & armed coverage
- Level 3 - individual cells, fenced perimeters, & armed covverage
- Level 4 - cell, fenced wall perimeter, electronic security, more staff, and armed security officers
4 private state prisons in CA
- Victor Valley - San Bernadino County
- Desert View
- Central Valley - Mc Farlen
- Goldern State - Mc Farlen
LA county correction facilities and jail
- -9 detention centers
- -33 state prisons and 4 private prisons
- -overly crowded = early release program
- -biggest in the nation
- -35B/year industry
- -27 states have private prisons
- -15% cheaper than state prisons
3 Private prisons:
- 1. Correction Corporation of America (largest private prison corp)
- 2. Wakken Hut Corrections Corporation (foreign)
- 3. Pricore
-protects citizens against abuse of police power
Bill of Rights
First 10 Amendments to the US Constitution which are considered especially important in the processing of criminal defendants
1st landmar case:
- Search & Seizure
- Weeks vs. US 1914 (Mr. Weeks suspected using US mail to sell lotter tickets-home searched w/out seach warrant)
evidence illegaly collected/seized cannot be used in trial
the set of informal values that characterized the police forces as a district community with a common identity
the abuse of force authority of personnel and organizational gain
- corruption 2000-2001
- -officers falsyfying evidence to the theft and sale of illegal drugs
- -police running drug ring while eliminating competitions from civillial dealers
- -Officer Rafael Perez stole $1M worth of cocaine
Saint Margaret's Food Pantry
- -all volunteer organization
- -must be a resident of South Gate
- -Teresa Cypert - founder
- 1. Antelope Valley 33.2% 25,000 people
- 2. South Bay area (includes LB) 32% 126,000 people
an appearance before a magistrate during whick the legality of the defendant's arrest is initially assessed and the defendant is informed of the charges on which he/she is being held. at this stage bail may be set or pretrial release arranged
- -the most common release/detention
- 1. helps ensure reappearance of the accused
- 2. prevents unconvicted persons from suffering imprisonment unnecessarily
speaking or talking out a bill
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview