122 Invertebrates_ Molluscs.txt
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- mollis = soft
- 100k species
main mollusc features
- muscular foot
- visceral mass
- protostome cleavage
void in-between the body of a mollusk, and its mantle
rod-like structure to help maintain strength and rigitidy
planktonic larva of many kinds of sea snails and freshwater snails, marine and freshwater gastropod molluscs
strong but flexible structure that holds shell plates together
tube that collects and expells blood from atrium
rotation of visceral mass
efferent vs afferent vessel
- efferent vessel (from gill to excratory system)
- afferent vessel (to gill from excratory system)
bipectinate vs. monopectanate gill
- bipectate - "two winged comb" gill
- monopectanate - "one winged combe" gill
hemocyannin vs hemolymph vs. Hemoglobin
- henmocyannin - blue blood, copper based hemolymph
- hemolymph - clear fluid that surrounds organs and circ. system
- hemoglobin - red blood, iron based hemolymph
filtering large flap like folds
- water entering and exit sites
- inhalent - brings water into mantle cavity
- - more sensory tentacles
- exhalent- water and waste exits mantle cavity
Horny elastic stucture or structures, joining the two valves of the shell
- site of gas exchange cavity
scrapping organ used to obtain food
sac that contains the heart
blood receiver of the heart
head/face formation (eyes, mouth development feat)
having the shell coiled in one plane
The mark on the inside of a bivalve shell left at the position of the attachment of the mantle lobes
Muscle connecting the two valves of the shell
light sensing organs that are derived from the mantle of the organism
having 4 nerve cords
openings in bivalves
accessory pumps in cephelapods
Fleshy or membranous outgrowth of the body wall which secretes the shell
an imaginary axis along the length of a shell
the tongue of flesh underlying the radular membrane
groove-shaped mantle cavity, where the gills are located
assymetrical helical coiling
coiling of the mantel and shell in a assymetrical coil not completely overlapping each other
sheep gill - maximizes surface area and minimizes size (smile with teeth look)
Open circulatory system
pump blood into a hemocoel with the blood diffusing back to the circulatory system between cells. Blood is pumped by a heart into the body cavities, where tissues are surrounded by the blood.
aids in digestion and mucus clean up
radial alignment of cells during development
main pump heart
a lens projecting an image onto a retina (no blind spot)
- internal mass covered by mantle
- secretes shell
- aplacophora "no plate bearer"
- monoplacophora "one plate bearer"
- polyplacophora "many plate bearer"
- gastropoda "stomach foot"
- bivalvia "2 shell" / pelecypoda " hatchet foot"
- scaphopoda "spade foot"
- cephalopoda "head foot"
- dorsal ventrical compressed body
- shell divided to 8 plates
- marine organisms
- no developed head
- "stomach foot"
- snails and slugs
- marine, freshwater, terrestrial
- D-V elongation of the body
- coiling of the body and shell
- oblique shift of the body and shell
- prosobranch "gill in front" - torsion and shelled
- opsthobranch "gill in rear" - gill loss detorsion, lost of shell
- pulmonate "lung" - terrestrial, lost gills
- "no plate bearer"
- no shell
- oldest mollusc
- burrowing, crawling
- marine based
- fleshy body
- "one-plate bearer"
- one shell
- reflects general ancestor
- large satome
- deep sea animal
- large shell
- "two-shell / hatchet foot"
- mussels and clams
- Lateral compression of body and foot
- dorsally hinged shell
- lost radula
- crystaline style
- marine and freshwater
- burrowing or anchored
- "spade foot"
- small group
- deposit feeders
- no ctenidium-perculum-circ.system
- burrowing org.
- one way current function
- "head foot"
- squid, octopi
- shell reduction
- high metabolic rate
- ink gland
- cognitive thinking
- strictly marine, swimming
- concurrent gas exchange
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview