How do cells use nutrients and energy to build structure , grow, and reproduce through Metabolic processes?
- 1- every cell requires nutrients
- 2- metabolism requires energy from light or from catabolism of nutrients
- 3- energy is stored in the chemical bonds of adenosine triphosphate (ATP)
- 4- using enzymes, cells catabolize nutrient molecules to form elementary building blocks called precursor molecules.
- 5- using precursor molecules, energy from ATP, and enzymes, cells construct larger building blocks in anabolic reactions.
- 6- cells use enzymes and additional energy from ATP to anabolically link building blaock from macromolecules in polymerization ractions
- 7- cells assemble macromolecules into cellular structure, ribosomes, membranes, cell walls, etc
- 8- cells typically reproduce once they have doubled in size