Edexcel P2 Unit 6.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Name two natural sources of background radiation
- cosmic rays from space
Name two man-made sources of background radiation
- nuclear accidents
- nuclear weapons tests
What is the unit of radioactive activity?
Name an advantage of nuclear power
No carbon dioxide emissions
Name some disadvantages of nuclear power
- Nuclear waste can stay radioactive for thousands of years
- Radiation leaks can be very dangerous
- Storing nuclear waste is difficult and expensive
Which type of radiation is used in smoke detectors?
Which sort of radiation is used to measure paper thickness?
Which sort of radiation is used as a tracer in medical applications?
Which sort of radiation is used to detect cracks in pipes and other metal structures?
What is the half-life of a radioactive isotope?
- The time taken for the number of radioactive nuclei in a sample to halve, or, the time taken for the decay count rate to halve. (These give the same number)
Name 3 ways in which radioactive waste could be disposed of.
- Any 3 of:
- inside bore-holes in solid rock,
- at sea in special containers,
- bury under the seabed,
- launch it into space,
- at the edge of tectonic plates so that it is dragged into the Earth's mantle
Name 3 ways that workers using radiation protect themselves against exposure
- Take care to keep exposure to a minimum
- Use lead screens where possible (eg taking x-rays)
- Wear radiation badges (to monitor the radiation)
What is the main health problem that exposure to radiation to cause?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview