Peds Shelf Exam Review Session
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Cat Bite versus Cat Scratch
Cat Bite = Pasteurella Multcodia Tx: Augmentin
Cat Scratch = Bartonella Cat Scratch Fever.
6 week old normal except SOB, listless
14 y/o with long history of rash that remitts
3 things that the drooling kid could have
- Retropharyngeal abscess
- Peritonsallar abscess
Most common cause of deafness s/p meningitis?
How many episodes of tonsillitis/yr before you do tonsillectomy?
How to differentiate kidney stones from UTI?
Kidney stones has no FEVER!
- Most commonc ause of hypothyroidism, autoimmune disorder
- Assoc. with HLA-DR5.
- May he hyperthyorid early in course
Neonatal Gonorrhea vs. Chlamydia in terms of timing
- Gonorrhea days 2-5
- Chlamydia a few weeks post-partum
Foul smelling/greasy stools w/o respiratory symptoms
Think Celiac's Disease.
- Respiratory Alkalosis Early on
- Then Metabolic Acidosis (Anion Gap)
- pH = 7.2 BiCarb = 10
5 y/o M w/ hx of leg pain, hepatosplenomegaly, bruising
6 week old w/ parotid swelling
S/p 60 min. post-trauma clear fluid out of the ear
Basilar Skull Fracture
Differentiate btwn Kawasaki and Scarlet Fever
- Both may have strawberry tongue, rash, desquamation of hands and feet, erythema.
- Scarlet Fever = Normal Conjunctiva and lips!!
Mnemonic for Kawasaki
- CRASH and BURN
- Adenopathy (unilateral)
- Strawberry Tongue
- Hands and Feet (Red, swollen, flaky skin)
- Fever (>40C/104F for > 5 d)
2 week old w/ a weak suck
13 y/o F w/elevated scapula
Blue at Birth
think Transposition of the Great Vessels
Side effect of Bactrim
- Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole TMP-SMX
- Treats Marrow Poorly TMP
- Causes neutropenia
Which boys get gynecomastia
- Pot smokers
3 mo w/ constipation and exhaustion
Fluids for kids
- 4 ml/kg/hr for kilograms 0-10
- 2 ml/kg/hr for 10-20kg
- 1 ml/kg/hr for each addt. kg
- 20 ml/kg NS up to three times
No Pee? No K!
- Inner thigh stroking -->
- No Cremaster Reflex (movement up of testicle)
- Suggests Testicular Torsion
8 mo w/o gag reflex?
Inflammatory reaction to tinea capitis
Teenage girl rash can't come her hair
Coomb's Positive & Hemolytic Anemia
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae, EBV
- Causes Cold agglutination and acute anemia
Neurologic Consequence of hypernatremia
Widening wrists, refuses to crawl
Blood on tapping pleural effusion
Midline defect in neck that moves w/ swallowing
Thryoglossal Duct Problem
If they show you an x-ray w/o a broken bone
Consequences of recurrent pyelo
- renal scarring
Causes of fainting w/exercise in adolescent
- Hypertropic Cardiomyopathy
- Hypertrophic IV septum is too close to mitral vavle leaflet, causing outflow tract obstruction. 50% of cases familial associated w/ Friedreich's ataxia. Causes conduction abnormalities
- Long QT syndrome
- Pulmonary Artery Hyperplasia
Bronchiectasis on CT
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview