BIOL Quiz 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How many bones are there in the body?
What 2 parts is the skeletal system divided into?
the axial and the appendicular
what major bones make up the axial skeleton?
What two categories make up the appendicular skeleton?
upper and lower limbs
What are the functions of the skeletal system?
- movement (with muscles)
- --Bones act as levers
- --joints act as pivots
- Mineral storage
- Blood cell production by red marrow (RBC's, WBC's, plateletets)
Explain the mineral storage of the skeletal system
- mostly calcium
- some phosphorus
- when calcium runs low in blood, it can be extracted from skeleton
What are the 2 types of bone tissues? Describe them.
- Spongy bone--aka cancellous bone; lacy network of bone fibers (trabeculae)
- Dense bone--outter lining; covers spongy bone as well
what are the spaces filled with inbetween trabeculae?
what are the 4 bone shapes?
- long bones
- short bones
- flat bones
- irregular bones
which bones are long bones?
Bones of the limbs:
what are the two main parts of a long bone?
- Epiphysis--located at either end of bone (top and bottom); wide for joint stability and attachments
- Diaphysis--contains medullary cavity; refers to core part of bone
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview