Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Adaptation to environment that exhibits a few features
Major features of a civilization?
- dense population
- social stratification
- job specialization
- large-scale permanent architecture.
Graphic representation of language.
English has Latin alphabet.
Latin alphabet not made for English.
Mesoamerica: pictographic alphabet developed from scratch.
Large-scale permanent architecture?
Temple platforms, observatories, canals ball courts and megalithic had carvings.
What is history?
Is a method of philosophy in the social sciences.
Social sciences are?
- Anthropology – the study of man.
- Sociology-the study of people and groups. Psychology-the study of mental and behavioral process.
- History-the research of past event.
- Sources that originate in the time historians are studying.
- government documents
- personal memoirs transcripts of legal proceedings
- oral histories or traditions
- archaeological evidences
- biological evidence visual sources: maps, paintings and photographs.
Works that reflect on earlier times. Books and articles where a writer interprets events and primary sources examples: books by professional scholars.
- To show an unbiased response and documentation or approach.
- Expressing or dealing with facts or conditions proceed without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations.
- To be influenced by one's personal experiences.
- Arising out of or identified by means of one's perception of one's own states and processes.
- Is the writing of history.
- These studies analyze and document what historians have heard about a subject.
Quote about history?
"Until lions have their own historians, the hunter will always be glorified"-Ethiopian proverb
El Plan de Santa Barbara?
- Late April 1969, students and community members came together and wrote this plan.
- Santa Barbara, CA
- MEChA and Chicano studies were created
What makes history a social science?
- It relies on documents: primary and secondary
- examples: 1848; Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
- WWII ; diary of Anne Frank.
- Articles about the late Michael Jackson
Objective of history 141?
Identify and describe the political, economic and, social achievements of pre-Columbian indigenous cultures as they pertain to the evolution of Mexican, American, and Mexican-American traditions.
Five subregions of Mesoamerica?
- Gulf Coast
- Mayan region
- Oaxaca area
- Western Mexico
- Central mexico
Gulf Coast areas? Major languages?
- Veracruz, Tamaulipas, Tabasco
- Major languages: Totonaca and Huaxteco
Mayan region areas and language?
Yucatán, Chiapas, Central America.
Oaxaca Areas and languages?
- Oaxaca and Guerrero (eddy)
- Languages: Zap-o-tec and Mix-tec
Western Mexico areas? Language?
- Naya-rit, Colima (taco shop), Michoacan, Jalisco, Queretaro.
- Language: Pure'pecha
Central Mexico areas? languages?
- Mexico City, Mexico, Puebla, T-lax-cala, Morelos, and Hidalgo.
- languages: Nahuatl and Otomi
The archaic period?
- 800,000 BC two 2000 BC.
- Food domestication
The preclassic period?
- 2000 BC to 200 BC. (Mother culture)
The classic period?
- 200 BC to 900 AD
The EPI Classic Period?
700 to 900 AD
The postclassic period?
- 900 A.D.-1521 A.D