The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is absorption?
passage of small molecules into the body
Where does absorption occur?
- rumen, reticulum & omasum of ruminants
- small intestine
- large intestine
What is the basic microanatomy of intestines?
- epithelial cells
- smooth muscle
What are the types of absorption?
- passive diffusion
- facilitated diffusion
- active transport
Requirements for Passive diffusion:
- it moves with the concentration gradient
- from High to low concentration
- no energy necessary
how does facilitated diffusion work?
- moves with concentration gradient
- from high to low concentration
- requires carrier protein but no energy
What are the requirements for active transport?
- moves against the concentration gradient
- from low to high concentration
- requires energy through ATP and a carrier protein
What does phagocytosis do?
- part of a villi engulfs a nutrient
- no digestion required
- absorbs large particles