Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
cultural images that carry stereotypical meaning that are reproduced like commodities// feature of mass culture.
Distinction between Popular and Mass Culture
Agency- ability for people in a culture to be creative with the dominant culture, colonial power or mass media given to them.
rules or standards of behavior that are expected of a group, society or culture
- 1. rewards and punishment in response to a particular behavior
- 2. positive: reward, increases behavior
- 3.negative: punishment, decrease behavior
William Gram Summer's types of Norms
- 1. Folkway: informal norms that govern everyday social behavior (table manners)
- 2.Mores: more serious than folkway, like laws (murder)
- 3.Taboo: the most serious, so deeply ingrained that just the thought would cause great discomfort. (incest)
cultural items, may or may not be tangible that has tremendous meaning within a culture
standards used by cultures to describe abstract qualities such as beauty justice and goodness
How we think we should act
How we really act
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview