Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
cultural images that carry stereotypical meaning that are reproduced like commodities// feature of mass culture.
Distinction between Popular and Mass Culture
Agency- ability for people in a culture to be creative with the dominant culture, colonial power or mass media given to them.
rules or standards of behavior that are expected of a group, society or culture
- 1. rewards and punishment in response to a particular behavior
- 2. positive: reward, increases behavior
- 3.negative: punishment, decrease behavior
William Gram Summer's types of Norms
- 1. Folkway: informal norms that govern everyday social behavior (table manners)
- 2.Mores: more serious than folkway, like laws (murder)
- 3.Taboo: the most serious, so deeply ingrained that just the thought would cause great discomfort. (incest)
cultural items, may or may not be tangible that has tremendous meaning within a culture
standards used by cultures to describe abstract qualities such as beauty justice and goodness
How we think we should act
How we really act
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview