101 Exam 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Architecture: Post & Beam
Two posts equally spaced a part with a beam placed horizontally across.
Two posts with a beam placed across and over-hanging on one side.
Placing bricks on top of each other to create a tunnel, using outside bricks to hold up the inside ones.
Architecture: Roman Arch
Using bricks to create an arch, with pie shape bricks around the curve using the sides to take the pressure.
Architecture: Tunnel/Barrel Vault
Arches in a line creating a tunnel.
Rotating an arch 180 degrees.
Architecture: Masonry/Load Bearing Walls
Brick, cement, steel frames. Used today.
Architecture: Flying Buttress
Outside structural support system to hold up buildings. Leaning a post up against an outside wall.
Architecture: Cable Suspension
Using cables to hold up a structure. ie: Bridges.
Middle Ages: Illuminated Manuscripts
- -The physical embodiment of god.
- -First letter of the paragraph illustrates what is going to happen in the paragraph.
- -paintings on the sides called illuminations.
Middle Ages: What the art looks like
- -No landscape
- -No background
- -No depth
- -No shading
- -No linear perspective
- -Special people have halos around head
- -No emotion
- -No nudity
Middle Ages: Gothic Cathedrals
- -built in the form of a cross
- -center of the city
Middle Ages: Gargoyles
- -statues of creatures from underworld on outside of cathedrals
- -used as rain gutter because evil creatures were fit to carry waste water
Ren: Rise of the Middle Class
- -middle class are now consumers
- -contributing to the economy
- -man is the measure
- -secularization of the divine
- -making god worldly, on our level
Ren: What does art look like?
- -important backgrounds
- -linear perspective
- -secular acts and scenes
Baroque: What does the art look like?
- -similar to hellenistic art
- -lack of importance in background
- -lots of diagonals
- -dark backgrounds contrasting with light colors
Rococo: What does the art look like?
- -Everything is overdone
- -very elaborate
- -fluffy pink nudes
Neoclassicism: What does the art look like?
- -plain and simple looking
- -poses are cheesy and very "posed" looking
Impressionism: What does the art look like?
- -lots of light and color
- -captures the way something looks at given moment
- -quick brush strokes
- -painterly with an impasto texture
Cubism: What does the art look like? Who started it?
- -new visual language created by Brock and Picasso
- -flat geometric plane
- -neutral and monochromatic
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview