GRE Vocab #10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
(soh brih keht)
Synonyms: alias; pseudonym
- nicknameOne of Ronald Reagan's sobriquets was "The Gipper."
(sah lih sishz uhm)
- grammatical mistake; blunder in speech
- “I ain’t going with you,” she said, obviously unaware of her solecism.
- Synonyms: blooper; faux pas; vulgarism
- highly self-disciplined; frugal; austere
- When he was in training, the athlete preferred to live in a Spartan room, so he could shut out all distractions.
- Synonyms: restrained, simple
Synonyms: frisky; merry
- Frolicsome; playfulThe lakeside vaction meant more sportive opportunities for the kids than the wine tour through France.
- a state of static balance or equilibrium; stagnation
- The rusty, ivy-covered World War II tank had obviously been in stasis for years.
- Synonyms: inertia, standstill
(stehn tohr ee yehn)
- extremely loud
- Cullen couldn’t hear her speaking over the stentorian din of the game on TV.
- Synonyms: clamorous; noisy
(straa tuh juhm)
Synonyms: artifice; feint; maneuver; ruse; wile
- trick designed to deceive an enemy
- The Trojan Horse must be one of the most successful military stratagems used throughout history.
- To tarnish; taint
- With the help of a public relations firm, he was able to restore his sullied reputation.
- Synonyms: besmirch; defile
(suh plaant )
Synonyms: displace; supersede
- to replace (another) by force; to take the place of
- The overthrow of the government meant a new leader to supplant the tyrannical former one.
Synonyms: glut; plethora; repletion; superfluity; surplus
- excessive amount
- Because of the surfeit of pigs, pork prices have never been lower.
- rude and bad-temperedWhen asked to clean the windshield, the surly gas station attendant tossed a dirty rag at the customer and walked away.
gruff; grumpy; testy
(sih buh riet)
Synonymns: hedonist; sensualist
- a person devoted to pleasure and luxuryA confirmed sybarite, the nobleman fainted at the thought of having to leave his palace and live in a small cottage.
(sih kuh fuhnt)
- a self-serving flatterer; yes-manDreading criticism, the actor surrounded himself with admirers and sycophants.
- Synonyms: bootlicker; fawner; lickspittle; toady
(sihm bee oh sihs)
Synonyms: association; interdependence
- cooperation; mutual helpfulnessThe rhino and the tick-eating bird live in symbiosis; the rhino gives the bird food in the form of ticks, and the bird rids the rhino of parasites.
(sihn cuh pay shun)
- temporary irregularity in musical rhythmA jazz enthusiast will appreciate the use of syncopation in this musical genre.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview