The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Leading cause of nutrition-related diseases in the U.S.
- Poor Diet
- Sedentary Lifestyles (Lack of Exercise)
Nutrients that supply energy?
Percentage of carbohydrates advocated by the Food & Nutrition board
Fiber class of nutrient
Energy provided by fats, proteins, & carbohydrates in grams
- Fats: 60 grams
- Proteins: 70 grams
- Carbs: 290 grams
Properties of water as a nutrient
Numerous vital functions in body
What a "kcalorie" measures
Nutrition definition of n "organic"
- The food must be free of:
- Food colors
- Synthetic flavors
- Any other synthetic substances
What is the "Freshman 15"
- Term used to describe weight gained by first year college students
- Stressful Situations
- University Environment
- Peer Pressure
- Lack of Exercise
Term for: "psychological influence to eat"
What "anthropometry" is
Measurement of body weight and the lengths, circumferences, and thicknesses of parts of the body.
Definition of "Under-Nutrition"
Failing health results from a long-standing dietary intake that is not enough to meet nutritional needs.
Agency responsible for food labeling
- Food & Drug Administration
Food labels ingredient label order
Descending order by weight
System that keeps diseases from humans
Where "bile" is produced
Fluids that promote heartburn
Area that the digestive system absorbs the most nutrients
Functions of large intestine
- Mix & propel contents
- Absorb sodium, potassium, & water
- House bacteria
- Lubricate w/ mucus
- Synthesize some vitamins & short-chain fatty acids
- Forms feces
Know types of Monosaccharides
What is disaccharide?
- Sucrose: Sugar
- Lactose: Milk products
- Maltose: Fermentation & Alcohol Production
What sugars form sucrose, lactose, & maltose?
Glucose other name
Definition of "Simple Carbohydrates"
Function of glucose
- In bloodstream called; blood sugar
- Breaks down starches & sucrose
- Source of fuel for cells
Characteristics of Type Two Diabetes
- Generally in people > 40 years or age
- Increasing rates in younger people
- -Weight Loss
- -Oral Medication
- -Diet therapy
Where digestion begins?