Astronomy: Chapter 7
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- any object that exists in space
- e.g. star, planet, asteroid, comet
- a scientist who studies astronomy
- (the study of the night sky)
- The movement of one object around another.
- e.g. the movement of the Earth around the Sun.
- 1 revolution = 1 year
The movement of an object around its own axis.
- e.g. the movement of Earth around its axis
- 1 rotation = 1day
- A group of stars that seem to form a distictive pattern in the sky
- e.g. Orion, Ursa Major, Ursa Minro
- The distance light travles in a year
- 1 ly = 9.5 x 1012 km
the brightness of a star as seen from Earth
- The location above or below the equator
- Equator = 0o
- Kitchener = 43.4528o N
- North Pole = 90o N
the rising and falling of ocean water caused by the Moon's and Earth's gravity
a curve that is generally referred to as being oval or the shape of an egg
orbits are generally ellipse shaped
Phases of the Moon
the monthly progression of changes in the appearance of the Moon that result from different portions of the Moon's sunlit side being visible from Earth
the phenomenon in which one celestail object moves directly in front of another celestial object as viewed from Earth
the phenomenon in which the full Moon passes into Earth's shadow
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview