The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is the main function of a carb?
feed the brain and nervous system
what are a carbs chemical elements?
carbs 3 major categories?
what percentage of kcalories per day should come from carbs?
what carbs are simple and why?
- monosaccharaides, disaccharides
- they are in the simplest form of sugars and easily broken down
what carbs are complex and why?
- the are made up of many chains of simple sugars and take longer to be broken down
what is the basic units of all carbs?
list the 3 major monosaccharaides and an example of their source.
- glucose-blood sugar
- galactose-end product of milk sugar
list the 3 major disaccharides and an example or their source.
- lactose-milk sugar
- sucrose-table sugar
list the major polysaccharides and an example of their source.
- glycogen-animal starch
- starch-tubers, roots, grains, legumes
- dextrin- metabolic process changing starch into sugar ex. toasting bread.
list examples of polysaccharides that are known as fibers and are not completely digestible.
- cellulose-fruit and bean skin
- hemi cellulose-plant wall, cereal fiber
- pectins-forms gel in jelly, lemon rind
what is the recommended intake of fiber per day?
what is soluble fiber?
- dissolve in water to form a gel.
- beans, oatmeal
- slows digestion
what is insoluble fiber?
- does no dissolve in water
- skins of corn, celery strings
- speeds up digestion
list ways a person could increase the fiber in their diet
- eat more fruit and veggies
what is the storage for of glucose in the body?
where is glycogen stored in he body?
- in limited amounts