The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 8 Artistic "Movements"?
- Early Christian Art,
- Byzantine Art,
- Insular Art,
- Migration Period Art,
- Islamic Art,
- Pre-Romanesque Art,
- Romanesque Art,
- Gothic Art, and
- Renaissance Art
What are the defining features of early Christian Art?
What are the defining features of Byzantine Art?
- -popular in Roman Eastern Empire
- -all people face forward
- -important people are in the center, are higher, and have a halo or gold background if divine
- -best pieces were murals and frescoes
What are the defining features of Insular art?
- -popular in Great Britain
- -a fusion between Celtic art and Migration Period art of the Anglo-Saxons
- -large production of books, high crosses, and other Christian art
What are the defining features of Migration Period Art?
- -art of "barbarians" (non-Greeks?)
- -from Eastern Europe
What are the defining features of Islamic Art?
- -the art of Muslim peoples in Islamic Spain and Northern Africa
- -in religious art there were no living creatures, as the creation of living things was believed to be unique to God
What are the defining features of Pre-Romanesque Art?
- -romanesque means descended from Romans
- -in this period, Roman Classical Art shows up in lots of architecture and other art forms
What are the defining features of Romanesque Art?
- -straighter lines, columns, thick walls, round windows and arches
- -short, squat structures
- -first time (since Ancient Rome) Roman forms of architecture are clearly used
What are the defining features of Gothic Art?
- -the term gothic was first used as an insult, meaning "medieval, barbarous, not classical"
- -there were pointed arches, ribbed vaults, and flying buttresses
- -4 main crafts of the Gothic Period:
- panel paintings
- illuminated manuscripts
- and stained glass
What are the defining features of Renaissance Art?
- -more realistic than previous art
- -components that made paintings and frescoes more realistic were the uses of proportion, perspective, shading & lighting
picture or decorative design made by small colored pieces of stone, tile glass, etc. set in a surface (usually stone or glass)
mural made on a wet plaster wall
Islamic region of Spain
handwritten, decorated text
Fun Fact!: sometimes gold or silver inks were used