The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A systematic charting of an area to provide for and obtain the data for the compilation of nautical charts, with emphasis on the features that may effect safe navigation.
5 Fundamental parts of a survey
- The determination of a position with relative reliability is essential for the reference frame of a GIS.
- Determination of positions on the Earth's surface requires the establishment of appropriate co-ordinates in the selected Geodetic Reference Systems.
To be of use, the framework of the chart needs to be orientated. ie: True North
The scale or size must be determined by determining the distances between several marks.
Having established position, Orientation (azimuth), & scale, additional positions can be co-ordinated to provide a 'framework' that allows all the detail of the survey to be fixed.
Is collecting the data within the framework such as bathymetry and tides
5 steps involved in the Sequence of a survey
- Hydrographic Instruction
- Data Collection
- Report of Survey
- Survey Validation/Appraisal
Program which summarises the hydrographic activities over a period of 3 years in support of civil community and defence needs.
Hydrographic Instruction (HI)
- Initial planning of surveys.
- It contains:
- Reason for survey
- Survey Limits
- Survey standards
- Survey scale
- Horizontal Datum
- Projection & Grid
- Tidal Datum & Observations
- Wrecks in area
- Geodetic Data
- Special Instructions relating to access
Report of Survey
A comprehensive report which contains a full summary of the results obtained, the methods employed and decisions made during a survey.
Rendered on F_05_ALL_AA273451
- When the completed ROS is received by the Hydro office it is split into sections for stringent checking by the relevant departments.
- On completion of this checking a survey Appraisal is raised & sent to the responsible Charge Surveyor.
5 areas of Info that are produced in a survey
- Oceanographic Data
- Tides & currents
- Physical properties of the water column
Structure of the ROS
- Submission of Data: conduct of survey in relation to problems encountered, amount completed ect.
- Part 1: Conduct of survey under a series of mandatory headings
- Technical Pages: Technical worksheets covering aspects ranging from Navigation Validation, to the list of nominal personnel.
Function of QMS
An application that employs a database and search engine to provide survey documentation in a controlled manner.