• Chemical values are also given in some cases the types of amino acids and for phytochemicals (plant chemicals that are not essential nutrients but have many beneficial physiological effects in the human body when consumed from a variety of plant foods).
The Exchange List System
The Exchange List system is an excellent tool for:
• Meal planning
• Calorie control
• Meeting the AMDRs & DRIs
The Exchange List System was created for
diabetic diet planning.
• Dietary carbohydrates levels can be planned to be compatible with insulin prescription.
• Diet prescription meets standard dietary goals for health.
The Exchange List System portion sizes are based on:
• Grams of protein
• Grams of carbohydrate
• Grams of fat
• Total number of Calories(not nutrient content)
The Exchange Lists
1. Starch (grains, cereals, pasta, breads, crackers, some snacks, starchy vegetables, dried beans, peas, and lentils)