The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Mentally focusing on some stimulus
Interpreting sensory information to yield meaningful information
Define pattern recognition
Classifying a stimulus into a known category
What is memory:
recognizing the shape as something familiar
Whats the difference between recall and recognition?
- recognition would be that something seems familiar
- where recall is trying to determine where you know that object
What is the knowledge representation?
It is mental organization of the knowledge you have accumulated in the lifetime
What is empiricism?
The idea all information is collected from their senses
What is Nativism?
Essentially, we come with predisposition abilities.
What is structuralism?
- Brought by Wundt, it identifies the simplest units of the mind
- Using these simple units, you could produce complex phenomena
It connates: soul searching"
What are the 4 properties of a conscious thought or idea
- mode (which sense involved)
- quality (such as colour shape texture)
- [iq md]
What is functionalism?
- James was interested in finding why the mind works the way it does
- Does the pursuit of finding function
- Did use Darwanian evolution theory
What is behaviourism?
- It involves referencing to the unobservable, subjective mental states
- i.e: consciousness, expecting believing, understanding
What about Gestalt Psychology?
- Started in Germany
- In german for configuration or shape
- rejected structuralism, functionalism and behaviourism
- Focused on people's subjective experience of stimuli and to focus on how people use or impose structure on their experiences