439 1 Code of Ethics
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The Code is Ethics is
the functional guidelines that we operate under as an SLP
Reasons for the Code of Ethics
- · Safeguard consumers and clients
- · Maintain professional reputation
- · Regulate professional behavior
- · Consultation and guidance
- · External code to self-imposed ethics
- · Quality assurance measure
Core Principals of the Code of Ethics
- Ensures that our interactions with our clients provide
- Dignity, Protection, Autonomy
- · It provides these things for both of us (client and
- · We do not guarantee improvement (this protects from
- false hope)
- Beneficence and Nonmaleficence
- Informed Consent
- Prognosis and Cures
- Infection Control
Explain non discrimination
- We can say that we are not qualified to work with a specific client, but that we are willing to
- get the training. This is not discrimination.
we need to be referring clients to other professionals and we need to keep track of when we are referring and our conversations with the client so that we cannot be backed into a corner. We MUST keep track of these things.
Explain and Give Examples
- we cannot treat anyone unless they want to be treated.
- IEP – Individualized Educational Plan
- IFEP – Individualized Family Educational Plan
What is our confidentiality document
- health insurance portability and accountability act
Explain Prognosis and Cures
- we are never going to guarantee that we can help a client
- a prognosis statement is a prediction of what can happen with therapy (poor, good, excellent)
- If there is a poor prognosis give the client the information and they may choose not to do it. Also, we must be very careful about how much time you spend with them because in the long run we will not get paid for it.
To provide infection control you must..
- always know the medical history of that client
- wash your hands
True or False: you can be the carrier of the receiver of an infection
How should Competence be measured?
- Effective diagnostic procedures
- Accurate prognosis – what their chances of improvement are.
- Appropriate therapy strategies
- Ongoing analysis of outcomes
When in a nursing home and the doctor says that the prognosis is poor, what has happened?
The doctor will say that prognosis is poor because that allows the person to be put in a nursing home. But this is the admitting prognosis NOT the SLP prognosis so we still need to do one!
Challenges of the Code of Ethics
- Competition (with other SLPs)
- Service eligibility
- Managed care - payment
- Scope of Practice
Competition is allowed and encouraged but it must...
be professional and in good spirit and well as be politically appropriate
Explain Service Eligibility
- It is the criteria that makes someone eligible for services
- This changes from site to site
- Driven by federal law, state law, and even the facility and we must meet the most stringent of these
Can there be reasons for discharge that do not involve the child?
Yes, reasons can be due to parent's misbehavior, inability to pay for services, etc.
Explain the challenges of managed care - payment.
- How can someone get the best bang for their buck
- Try to stay calm
- Sometimes we have to write letters (justification) to get payment for services extended
- We have to be proactive for these people
The Scope of Practice provides us with...
- resources and evidence based practices
- information about technology
The Scope of Practice is..
- constantly being revised
- available on the ASHA website - visit frequently
- check the state association websites too
Explain the challenge of paraprofessionals
we are the highest qualified provider and therefore we need to be supervising parapros.
If you see and SLP doing something unethical what is the hierarchy that you must follow to report this?
- First - them
- Second - their supervisor
- Third - the credentialing board
- Finally - ASHA
each of these will require that you follow the hierarchy - you are not allowed to go out of order
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview