Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Professional Roles and Activities
- Addresses typical and atypical communication and swallowing areas:
- Speech sound production – articulation, apraxia, dysarthria, ataxi
- Language comprehension
- Cognition – memory, sequencing, problem solving, attention, executive functioning Feeding and swallowing
Potential Etiologies Include:
- · Neonatal problems
- · Developmental disabilities
- · Auditory problems
- · Respiratory compromise
- · Pharyngeal abnormalities
- · Laryngeal anomalies
- · Neurological disease/dysfunctions
- · Psychiatric disorders
- · Genetic disorders
National Qualifications as an SLP
- · Master’s, doctoral, or other recognized post-baccalaureate degree
- · ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC)
- · Continuing education for continued certification
In order to practice SLP you must meet the national qualifications as well as....
· Self monitor pre-service academic education, clinical experience, mentorship/supervision, and continuing development
Meeting the national and additional qualifications results in...
- · AUTONOMOUS PROFESSIONALISM providing diagnosis, assessment, planning, treatment, prevention, advocacy, education, administration, and research.
- Their services are NOT prescribed or supervised by another professional.
SLPs are specifically engaged in..
- · Prevention and pre-referral
- · Screening
- · Assessment/evaluation
- · Consultation
- · Diagnosis
- · Treatment, intervention, management
- · Counseling
- · Collaboration
- · Documentation – if it is not written down then it didn’t happen
- · Referral
SLPs practice in these settings..
- · Public and private schools
- · Early intervention settings, preschool, and day care centers
- · Health care settings (hospitals, medical rehab facilities, LTCs, home health, clinics, neonatal intensive care, behavior/mental health facilities)
- · Private practice settings
- · Universities and university clinics
- · Individuals’ home and community residences
- · Supported and competitive employment settings
- · Community, state, and federal agencies and institutions
- · Correctional facilities
- · Corporate and Industrial settings
- · Other immerging settings
Look at Scope of Practice number 23 - cognitive communication intervention