The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Are pigs easy to restrain?
- no they are very strong
- a 40 pound pig is harder to handle Labrador retriever
Why do we need to give pigs a higher dose of anesthetics?
because they have a higher body fat %
What kind of injections do give for anesthetics in pigs?
- IM for sedation followed IV or IM for induction
- IV is limited and ears are really the only option
Are pigs easy to intubate?
no, can not see the larynx so it is a blind intubation
Pigs can easily get malignant hyperthermia when under anesthesia. What is this and what is another name for it?
- acute severe hyperthermia associated with anesthesia, exertion, transportation or other stress
- also called porcine stress syndrome
Do we often do local or regional blocks in pigs?
not frequently done due to conformation and high % body fat, but if we do do them then we do it the same way as we did for ruminants
What kind of sedatives/premeds do we give to pigs?
- alpha 2 agonists
What do anticholinergics do for pigs?
- better at drying secretions in swine than in ruminants
- prevents/treats bradycardia
- GI stasis is not much of a concern in pigs
What are the alpha 2 agonists that can be used in pigs and which one is the most commonly used?
- dexmedetomidine (dexdomitor)
How do pigs react to xylazine?
least sensitive and most resistant than other large animals so we use a higher dose
How long does acepromazine take to work in pigs?
20 - 30 minutes
What can xylazine cause pigs to do?
What are the different inductions agents we can use for pigs?
- thiobarbiturates (thiopental)
- dissociates (ketamine and telazol)
Which dissociative do we use the most commonly in pigs and why?
ketamine because its cheaper than telazol
How do we give the triple drip in pigs and how is it different than in ruminants?
- 1/2 L bag of 5% guaifenesin, 5cc of ketamine, 5cc of xylazine
- administer about 1ml/kg for IV induction or give to effect then CRI for maintenance (2ml/kg/hr)
- we can put xylazine in the bag bc pigs aren't as sensitive to it as ruminants
What are the different ways to maintain a pig on general anesthesia?
- repeat doses of induction agents (1/2 initial dose of ketamine IM)
- CRI of GKX
How is anesthesia different for pot belly pigs than for food animal pigs?
- not held to the same economic concerns and can use more expensive drugs
- pre-meds followed by mask induction
- can use propofol