GRE Vocabulary Words
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
conflicting feelings toward something or someone
- moderate or sparing in eating or drinking
- "You may live longer by living more abstemiously."
- to improve; to make better
- "Is there anything I can do to ameliorate your imprisonment?"
- very old-fashioned; primitive
- "The researchers argued that the lab's equipment was antediluvian and long overdue for replacement"
- to waste away; to become useless
- "Your muscles will atrophy if you don't get out of bed."
- to flourish; to grow rapidly
- "Burgeoning office romance."
- to surrender
- "I hate liver and onions but my grandmother forced me to eat it so I had no choice but to capitulate."
- mercy; leniency
- "The murder asked for clemency and was given life in prison instead of a death sentence."
- to blend; to merge; to fuse
- "The two paints began to coalesce until they blended into one color."
- to overcome with fear; to discourage
- "To daunt one's adversaries"
- fond of arguing
- "The argument became so hot and out of control, that the moderator expelled the one disputatious man from the room."
- to expand; to swell; to stretch out
- "Habitual overeating had distended his stomach."
- to erase; to wipe out
- "to efface one's unhappy memories."
- bubbly; spirited
- "Effervescent tablet. Effervescent personality."
- mysterious; puzzling (enigma like)
- "He did not know how to react to such an enigmatic personality."
- temporary; short lived
- "The lives of most insects are ephemeral."
- having a pleasant sound; harmonius
- "Proposed new names should be unique and euphonious, if possible, and not unduly long or clumsy."
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview