Card Set Information
Chapter Eight Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is considered the founder of Islam?
1. Where was he (Muhammad) born?
1. What event in 622 marks the beginning of the Islamic calendar?
1. What was the significance of the Ka’aba?
a) Muhammad established it as the center of Muslim faith.
1. What is the meaning of the word “Islam”?
a) submission to God
1. How is the Koran (Qur’an) organized?
a) It is divided into 114 sûras.
1. What is the language of the Koran (Qur’an)?
What is the name of thebody of literature which consists of authoritative commentaries on the Koran and explanations of oraltraditions?
a) The Hadith
1. What is the name of the Islamic Legal code?
1. What is the purpose of the minaret or minarets adjacent to the mosque?
a) To call the faithful to prayer
1. What building in Jerusalem is one of the earliest and most spectacular achievements of Islamic architecture?
a) The Dome of the Rock
1. How many sides are there to the Dome of the Rock?
1. What is interesting about the site of The Great Mosque of Damascus?a) The site was once a pagan burial ground.
a) The site was once a Roman Temple and Byzantine church.
1. What city became the Muslim capital in Spain?
1. What was the goal of the Reconquista?
a) To drive the Muslims out of Spain
1. What was the name of the palace complex in Granada that escaped destruction during the Reconquista?
1. Which of the Islamic traditions discussed in the text has the largest following?
1. What explanation is given for the rapid spread of Islam?
a) The simplicity of its teachings
1. What language did the Sufi mystic Rumi use in writing his religious verse?
What was distinctive aboutthe way Rumi recited his poetry?
a) He danced while reciting.
1. What city was the political and cultural capital of the Abbasid Dynasty?
1. What was the focus of Averröes’ scholarly work?
a) To reconcile Greek philosophy with Islam
1. How did scholars working in Baghdad's “House of Wisdom” contribute tothe dissemination of Aristotle’s writings in the West?
a) They were the first to translate Aristotle’s works from Greek.
1. Which scholar was physician to the sultan of Baghdad?
a) Moses Maimonides
Which Muslim scholarinvented algebra and created modern numerical system?