The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Invented Pascaline at age 16. First mechanical
- calculator. Only added/subtracted. Designed for father who was an accountant.
- Father of the computer/ first computer designer.
- Difference Engine calculated polynomials.
- 25,000 parts, 15 tons, and 8 feet tons.
- Analytical engine was planned, but not built by him; was going to use
- punch cards. Brain is on display in museums.
Augusta Ada Byron,
the countess of Lovelace
- Mother didn’t want her to be like her father. Mother wanted Ada to be educated. Had many
- tutors, found out about Babbage’s work, she was involved with the creation of
- the Analytical engine. Was the first computer programmer.
- Boolean logic: And, Or, not. Basics behind
- digital computer logic. Founder of
- computer science.
- Considered father of information theory. Worked
- on Digital Circuit. Invented Binary Code. The Ultimate machine.
J. Presper Eckert and John Mauchly
- Eckert was Mauchly’s teacher (that’s how they met). ENIAC- very, very huge Electrical
- Number Generator, military used. . Univac- smaller, first commercial computer, US census bureau
- Arrested for homosexuality. Turing machine- used
- for turing test. Another step to the modern computer. Turing test was a way to
- test if a computer was human-like.
- One of the first to work on “Mark I” computer.
- Invented compiler and COBOL computer
- language. Computer programmer. Came up
- with the term “computer bug”. Annual conference named after her.
- Created transistor, which replaced vacuumed
- tubes. Improved circuitry. Ability to make things smaller. Shockley was paranoid for no reason. Won Nobel
- prize together. Named most important invention of the 20th century.
- Created FORTRAN: high level programming
- language. Was in the army. Worked for IBM.
Jack St. Clair Kilby
- Created microchip. Helped Texas Instruments
- create the hand held calculator
- Known for making the first “video game” that was
- played on the oscilloscope. Wanted to be
- known for his nuclear work, but was mainly known for the game.
Coined term "hypertext"
- Went to California Institute of Technology. Gave them lots of money. Started Intel in 1968. Created the first microprocessor. Moore’s Law: Every 2 years, the number of transitions on
- a microchip would double. At some
- point, Moore’s law will not be true anymore.
- Helped Invent microprocessor. Microprocessors
- are now in everything we use(Electronic wise) The first thing they used a
- microprocessor for is a calculator.
Invented the first mouse.Worked on GUI- Graphical User Interference
- HP Company started in the garage. HP
- created first pocket scientific calculator. Mainly known for printers.
- Created first laser printer. Worked at
- Xerox. Worked for Apple and helped
- create the first color management system for printers.
Created e-mail. Used @ sign. In 1971.
Invented Ethernet: Cable that connects devices.
- Worked for Xerox
- PARC. Invented “small talk” Dynabook. Created OPP programming that lets you
- use objects that can interact with the computer without normal programming.
- Invented Floppy:
- 8 inch only stored 100 kb
- 51/4 inch held 1.2 mb
- 3 ½ inch 400 kb
- DD 720 kb
- HD 1.44 mb
Paul G. Allen
- Invented Microsoft, Programmer guy. Met in high
- school (Bill Gates) Created BASIC. QDOS- called it DOS and sold rights to other
- people. Part of giving pledge.
- Developed CD. Invented around 20 years before it
- mass produced in the 1980’s.
- Osborne 1: First portable computer $1,795. Made
- paperback software, got sued by Lotus and lost.
- Invented “World
- Wide Web” NOT internet. Invented HTML, URL, HTTP. Worked with bar code
- technology. Started W3C World Wide Web
- Linex. Alternate to windows. You can change the
- code to personalize it. Most versions are not free.
- Started eBay in 1995. First item sold: Broken
- laser pointer, $14.
Started Amazon. Amazon was a bookstore at first, and now sells everything.
- Google people. Met at Stanford, created Google
- in 1997. Google is ranked as one of the
- best places to work. Google Chrome.
- Met while working for Paypal. Created YouTube. First YouTube video called ”Me at the Zoo”
- in 2005.