The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The ancient and ongoing discipline of defending and advocating Christian theism
The complex of concepts that explain and give meaning to reality from where a person stands, given his ancestries, histories, tuitions and religions.
Christianity cannot be the only way, given so many religions
Apologist for atheistic Darwinism
What does apologetics invoke:
Both rational legitimacy and emotional appeal
The investigation of significant truth claims through rational analysis.
The exercise of untoward or unethical influence on a person
Their conversions wrought through rational arguments:
- John Warwick Montgomery
- and C S Lewis
"come now, let us reason together"
The foundation of apologetics is
the very character of God
Israel was given two rational tests for the prophets:
- 1. If they deny the religion
- 2. If their predictions did not come to pass
Three biblical characters who used apologetics:
- Jesus - Saducees - woman with 7 husbands
- Peter - Ready to give an answer to every man with meakness and fear
- Paul - Epicurians and Stoics - finding common ground - Greek poets
Three steps in apologetics
- Establish common ground with audience
- Distinguish Christian worldview from other philosophies
- Call unbelievers to respond rightly to the truth of Jesus Christ
Cardinal virtue of the apologist
- Animated by the virtues of love
The apologist should pray for:
- Right Words
- The Audience
The goal of Apologetics
Christian Conversion and Intellectual Confidence
Biblically understood conversion
A radical turn away from sin, selfishness and Satan and a turn to God and His kingdom
Conversion is necessarily...
The understanding of what the gospel requires of a persona and on what basis it requires it.