Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is the difference between 2D and 3D radar?
2D gives range and bearing. 3D adds elevation
What does CSOOW stand for?
Combat systems officer of the watch
Command and control warfare
What are the security classifications?
- Top secret
What are the message precedence codes? Times?
- R - routine - 6 hours
- P - priority - 3 hours
- O - immediate - 30 min
- Z - flash - 10 min or less
Command, control, computers, communications, intelligence
What does NSFS stand for?
Naval surface fire support
Radio detection and ranging
Sound navigation and ranging
What 2 missile systems do we use on the Nimitz?
- NSSMS - NATO sea-sparrow surface missile system
- RAM - rolling air-frame missile system
What is our primary torpedo counter-measure system? How long is it and how much do we stream?
- SLQ-25 (NIXIE)
- 1600 ft long
- Stream 1500 ft
What 3 factors affect sonar operations?
What is the difference between active and passive sonar?
- Active - transmits and listens
- Passive - listens only
Delayed ignition of the primer
When the primer fails to ignite
What is the purpose of fire control?
To make ordnance reach it's intended target (warheads on foreheads)
What are the 4 areas that utilize naval missile systems?
- Anti-aircraft warfare
- Surface warfare
- Under-sea warfare
What is HERO?
Hazards of electromagnetic radiation to ordnance
What do the colors blue, yellow and brown mean in regards to ammunition?
- Blue - training
- Yellow - live warhead
- Brown - live rocket motor
What are the 7 steps of detect and engage?
- Initial detection
- Threat evaluation
- Weapons assignment
- Weapons firing
- Kill evaluation
What are the 4 types of radar?
- Fire control
- Air search
- Surface search
Names the rates that work in combat systems.
What two radars use SHF? Which is primary?
What is NIPR?
What is SIPR?
Computers used to send classified info
What does CSRO stand for and what is their job?
- Combat systems readiness officer
- Liaison between combat systems and the TAO
What's affects radar operations?
- Sea return
- Height of antenna
What does FEP stand for? (Not the exercise program)
Final evaluation problem
What does IFF stand for? How many modes are there?
- Identification friend or foe
- 5 modes
What is a LOGREQ?
When are LOGREQs sent?
- 48 hours before arriving to the US
- 2-3 weeks before arriving to a foreign country
What is a MOVREP?
- Movement report
- Report the current, previous, and expected position of a ship and/or battle group
What is EMCON? How many conditions and what are they?
- Emission Control
- 5 conditions
- Alpha 1
Where is EMCON monitored from?
What is OPORDER?
- Operation order
- Covers the organization of ships, units, communication, minesweeping, gunfire, bombardment, air strikes, and assault operations before an actual amphibious assault
- Instrument landing system
- Provides a stabilized glidescope for fixed wing aircraft and helos
- Lines up the aircraft in the recovery pattern
- ACLS - auto carrier landing system
- Primary long range air search
- 220 NM
- Secondary long range air search
- 250 NM
Radar repeater used to detect, track and display local tracks
What is the secondary purpose of CDC?
Control and assist in specific operations as delegated by the proper authority. Monitor the navigation of the ship and make recommendations to avoid collisions.
What does minimize mean according to message traffic?
A restriction on message traffic to or from a designated area
What is beadwindow?
A user is disclosing EEFI on the circuit
What is gingerbread?
To notify everyone on the net there is a suspected intruder
What is EEFI?
Essential elements of friendly information
What two areas utilize naval guns system
- Anti-air warfare
- Surface warfare
What four areas utilize naval missile system?
Name 3 gun systems used for self-defense
What is the primary purpose of harpoon missiles?
What are 2 primary purposes of the tomahawk missile?
- Land attack (strike)
What is the purpose of air search radar?
Early warning 360 degrees surveillance
What is the purpose of surface search?
Detect surface craft, low flying aircraft, or missiles
How many .50 cal mounts do we have? Range?
- 10: 5 port, 5 stbd
- 2000 yards
What is hot gun?
300 or more rounds fired within 5min
What are the 4 sections of a missile?
- Rocket motor
What color is the train warning circle?
What is the purpose of CSOSS?
- Combat systems operational sequence system
- Technical document system
- Provides step by step procedures and information to support CS operations
What is the primary purpose of CSOOW?
Direct the CS casualty control organization
What is SPQ-9?
Fire control radar
What is SPS-73?
Ships self defense system
Primary and secondary purpose of SLQ-32(v)4?
- Primary - anti-ship missile defense
- Secondary- jamming
What is HFRG and its purpose?
- High frequency radio group
- HF comms
What type of transmitter do we use?
Harris T- 1603/URC
What are the two versions of AN/WSC-3?
What is AN/SRC-55 hydra?
Portable UHF comms
Ranges of VHF, EHF, SHF
- VHF: 30 - 300 MHZ
- EHF: 30 - 300 GHZ
- SHF: 3 - 30 GHZ
What are four things supported by AN/WSC-6?
- POTS lines
- Message traffic
- Broadcast VTC
What are 3 things supported by challenge Athena 2 (WSC-8)?
- Sailor phones
- Downloading satellite imagery
What are the 4 components of a weapons system?
What is C5I?
- Combat systems