Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a tissue? What are the four?
- •TISSUE: An integrated group of cells with a common structure and function
- •Four Major tissue types:
- •Covers or lines organs
- •Always has a free (unattached) surface - apical
- •Basal surface in contact with basement membrane
- •Basement Membrane
What is a basement membrane?
•Basement Membrane: an cellular material made by the epithelium above it and the connective tissue below it --- it anchors the epithelium to underlying tissue
Classifactions of epithelia?
- •According to number of layers
- simple -- one cell layer thick
- stratified -- two or more cell layers thick
- •According to cell shape
- squamous (flattened)
function and location of simple squamous
- •Functions in diffusion and filtration
- –Walls of capillaries (endothelium)
- –Serous membranes (mesothelium)
function and location of simple cuboidal
- •Functions in secretion and absorption
- –Renal tubules
- –Lower parts of respiratory tree
functions and locations
- •Functions in secretion (including mucous) and absorption
- –If ciliated -- involved in movement of materials
- –Digestive tract
function and location
- •Functions in protection, mucous secretion and movement of materials
- –Upper respiratory tract
functions and location
- •Functions in protection of underlying tissues
- –Moist: lining mouth, parts of pharynx, larynx and esophagus
- –Keratinized: epidermis of skin
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview