Describe the nitrogen requirements of microorganisms, including: what N is needed for, whether it is growth limiting, whether it comes from organic or inorganic sources, what is "nitrogen fixation" why do some organism reduce nitrate and can N be recycled?
- N is needed as part of amino acids and nucleotides (DNA & RNA) nitrogen bases
- growth limiting in environment
- can come from organic and inorganic
- some organisms can "fix" nitrogen gas from the air and convert to solid
- all cells recycle nitrogen froM their amino acids and nucleotides