The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What type of atoms form covalent bonds?
- Electrons are shared by both atoms
Chemical Formula for Sulfur dioxide
Chemical Formula for Silicon Tetrachloride
Chemical Formula for Dinitrogen oxide
Chemical Formula for Tetraphosphorus hexoxide
- Formed with negative and positive ions
- (no sharing of electrons)
- Held together by Ionic bonds
- Found in Ionic Lattice
Bond Types based on electronagtivity
- Greater than 1.7=ionic bond
- 1.7-0.4=polar covalent
- Less than 0.4=Non Polar covalent
Naming Ionic Compounds
- Metal ion (cation) first-keeps elemental name
- Nonmetal (anion) second-replaces ending with ide
Name the following ionic compounds:
- Magnesium Chloride
- Aluminum Oxide
- Sodium Bromide
Need to indicate charge of an ion because they have more than one charge state.
What do you do if more than one polyatomic ion is needed?
surround it with ()