The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is mass balance?
the principle that matter cannot be created or destroyed
what are the applications of mass balance?
mixing, blending, concentration, syrups, drying, dilution, separation, baking
how to make a mass balance?
- 1) define the system (draw schematic)
- 2) designate letters/symbols to represent known and unknown variables and their list quantities
- 3) choose basis for calculation (in different processing systems, different things remain unchanged ("tie" substances)
- 4) total mass balance (TMB), an equation used on the total mass of each material entering or leaving the master system represents a total mass balance
what is the Pearson square rule?
- provides simplified solutions for mixing or blending of products
- adaptation of the algebraic method, easier and quicker, especially for syrups
- 1) quantity of A = absolute (% desired in blend - percent in B)
- 2) quantity of B = absolute (% in A - % desired)
- 3) quantity of blend C = quantity of A + quantity of B
What is squash (the product)?
- widely popular in many tropical countries
- bottled beverage containing 15% or more fruit pulp
- generally sugar syrup is added to about 40% and sufficient acid and essence is added so it can be diluted 1:3 (or more is supplemented with sugar) before consumption
- hot filled into bottle and preserved using either sodium benzoate or potassium meta bi-sulfite
what is energy balance?
- similar to mass balance but need additional info on thermal properties
- energy input = energy output + energy accumulated + energy lost
what is energy balance used for?
- calculate needs of the food plant and boiler size
- heating needs of a building and cold storage requirements
what is culinary steam?
clean, good quality steam used for direct injection of steam, however it does dilute the substance
what can be used in place of culinary steam?
- an indirect heat exchanger such as plate and frame (for low viscosity liquids), tubular (medium viscosity liquids) or scraped surface heat exchanger (for high viscosity liquids) or a steam jacketed kettle will have to be used
- indirect heat exchangers will not dilute the juice