Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe diffusion of Ind-European language fam from its origin point. Three main Fam groups? Langs that dont fit?
- 1. Caucus Mountains-Migrate to Europe 10,000 BP. Diffused through Exploration, and Colonization
- 4. Three main sub family groups include Romance, Germanic, and French Groups
- 3. Romance Group- (french, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian) Basque(not common linguistically)
- 4.Germanic Group-Dutch, Netherland, Holand. Scandanavia:(Danish, Swedish, Norway, Iceland). Finland(oddball)
- 5. Slavic group(polich, czech slovak, slovak, polish, ukrainian
How has English evolved through the centuries?
English has evolved and spread through immigration, commerce/business, science/tech, diplomacy, media, exploration, and colonization. Bc of these aspects English has greatly influenced the world and has been adopted as the lingua franca of many major communities
Cite several countries where linguistic controversies threaten national unity.
Sub-Sahara-Africa, China, Korea(70 yr div), France(div), Mexico, South west Tibet(doesn't want to separate from country)
Discuss origin points and diffusion of worlds major religions.
- Christianity: Wide spread=catholic, protestant secularism, orthodox churches
- 2. Islam=Muhammad in Medina(wave of Islam expansion-conversion by sword)
- 3. Islamism origin with muslim(religion with politic)(Iran/Egypt-Muslim Bro hood/Arabia- Royal Fam)
Islamism is religion with politic, its goal is theocracy.Sharia is their code of justice law. They believe Western democracy/capitalism is evil
What are the worlds major religious conflict zones?
Afghanistan(Extreme, radical Fundamentalist Muslim terrorist groups & non-Muslims), India(Animists, Christians, Hindus, Muslims & Sikhs), Iraq(Kurds, Shiite Muslims, Sunni Muslims, western armed forces), Middle East(Jews, Muslims, & Christians), South Africa (Buddhists & Hindus)