Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
a hood or cowl, especially the long, pointed cowl of the Capuchins.
- — n. curly or frizzed fringe, often an artificial hairpiece, worn by women on the forehead
- from French, literally: little curl, from friser to curl, shrivel up, probably from frire to fry
- one of a number of ornamental loops in embroidery, or along the edge of lace, ribbon, etc.
- French: a purl, literally, a splinter, diminutive of pic prick
- 1.an explosive device formerly used in warfare to blow in a door or gate, form a breach in a wall, etc.
- 2.a kind of firecracker.
- any of various small tongue-shaped parts, processes, or projections.
- anything resembling a tongue in shape or function [from Old French languette, diminutive of langue tongue]
- 1.any coniferous tree of the genus Larix, yielding a tough durable wood.
- 2.the wood of such a tree.
- 1.consisting of, indicated by, or bearing the mark ^, ˘, or ~, placed over a vowel symbol in some languages to show that the vowel or the syllable containing it is pronounced in a certain way, as, in French, that the vowel so marked is of a certain quality and long, in Albanian, that the vowel is nasalized and stressed, or, in Classical Greek, that the syllable bears the word accent and is pronounced, according to the ancient grammarians, with a rise and fall in pitch.
- 2.pronounced with or characterized by the quality, quantity, stress, or pitch indicated by such a mark.
- 3.bending or winding around.
- 4.a circumflex mark or accent.
- verb (used with object)
- 5.to bend around.
- 1.a ring or cap, usually of metal, put around the end of a post, cane, or the like, to prevent splitting.
- 2.a short metal sleeve for strengthening a tool handle at the end holding the tool.
- 3.a bushing or adapter holding the end of a tube and inserted into a hole in a plate in order to make a tight fit, used in boilers, condensers, etc.
- 4.a short ring for reinforcing or decreasing the interior diameter of the end of a tube.
- 5.a short plumbing fitting, covered at its outer end and caulked or otherwise fixed to a branch from a pipe so that it can be removed to give access to the interior of the pipe.
- noun, plural
- an opening, orifice, or short passage, as in a bone or in the integument of the ovule of a plant.
- noun Architecture .
- 1.a slablike member beneath the base of a column or pier. See diag. under column.
- 2.a square base or a lower block, as of a pedestal.
- 3.Also called plinth course. a projecting course of stones at the base of a wall; earth table.
- 4.(in joinery) a flat member at the bottom of an architrave, dado, baseboard, or the like.
- (formerly in India and other Eastern countries) a passenger conveyance, usually for one person, consisting of a covered or boxlike litter carried by means of poles resting on the shoulders of several men.
- an incrustation of small crystals on the surface of a rock or mineral.
- Origin: 1745–55; German; compare Middle High German, Old High German druos gland, tumor, German Drüse gland
- a segment or the whole rim of a wooden wheel to which the spokes are attached and onto
- which a metal tire is usually shrunk
- in a fell manner; fiercely; ruthlessly.
- 1.any of various plasters or roughcasts for covering walls or other surfaces, especially a mortar of lime,hair, and cow dung for lining chimney flues.
- 2.another name for gypsum
- — vb
- 3.to cover or decorate with parget