Chapter 4 International OB
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Beliefs and values about how a community of people should and do act
Culture Influences on OB (6)
- 1)Economic/Technological Setting
- 2)Political/Legal Setting
- 3)Ethnic Background
- 5)Societal culture(customs,language)
Belief that one's native country, culture, language, and behavior are superior.
The ability to interpret ambiguous cross-cultural situations accurately
- Primary meaning derived from nonverbal situational cues.
- -cues like position, status, or family connections more powerful than words
Primary meaning derived from written and spoken words
9 Global Dimensions from GLOBE Project
- 1)Power Distance
- 2)Uncertainty Avoidance
- 3)Institutional Collectivism
- 4)In-Group Collectivism
- 5)Gender Egalitarianism
- 7)Future Orientation
- 8)Performance Orientation
- 9)Humane Orientation
Primary emphasis on personal freedom and choice
Personal goals less important than community goals and interests
Belief that time is limited, precisely segmented, and schedule driven
Belief that time is flexible, multidimensional, and based on relationships and situations
Hall's term for the study of cultural expectations about interpersonal space
Understanding and teaching behavioral patterns in different cultures
Hofstede Study: How well do US mgmt. theories apply in other countries?
- 1)power distance
- 4)Uncertainty Avoidance
Countries have Different Mgmt. Styles (3)
- 1)Monitoring:how well do co.'s monitor inside for continuous improvement.
- 2) Targets:set right targets, track right outcomes, take appropriate action
- 3)Incentives:are co.'s rewarding employees
Anyone living or working in a foreign country
Structured experiences to help people adjust to a new culture/country
Foreign Assignment Cycle (4)
- 1)Selection+Training:unrealistic expectations
- 2)Arrival+Adjustment:culture shock
- 3)Setting in+Acculturating:lack of support
- 4)Returning home+Adjusting:Reentry shock
Anxiety and doubt caused by an overload of new expectations and cues
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview