Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
First step for running for president
Second step for running for president
set aside time to run
Third step for running for president
Fourth step for running for president
Who is in your organization
- press secretary
- travel planner
- direct mail company
Final step for running for president
- Strategy and Themes
- Incumbent defends their record
- Challenger attacks incumbents record
Four T's in developing a strategy
Tone, Theme, timing Target
What would the tone be
- positive- build yourself up
- negative- attack the opponent
What would the theme be
- simple, appealing idea that can be repeated over and over.
- ex. bush Sr. " stay the course
what would the Timing be
Dont be a front runner or you may get knock out early
what would the target be
- find who is unhappy ex. farmers, middle-class
- only a small % of voters change vote from one election to the next
What was the Campaign Finance Act of 1974
- Created Federal Elections Commission (FEC)
- Candidates must report every contribution over $100 and supreme court ruled that pre set campaign spending limits are unconstitutional
What is the FEC?
enforces political restrictions on political spending and runs presidential elections public financing
What was the intent of the FEC
to open up the election process
unintended effects of the FEC 1.
growth of special interest money from PAC's
unintended effects of the FEC 2.
control of money now with individual rather than parties
unintended effects of the FEC 3.
wealthy challengers needed, they can use their own money to take on incumbents
unintended effects of the FEC 4.
candidate with strong ideological appeal has easier time raising money from people with strong feelings on issues
unintended effects of the FEC 5.
campaigns have gotten longer
unintended effects of the FEC 6.
incumbents raise more money from PAC's
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview