How do vessels transport water?
- •1- Transpirational pull-Water evaporates from cells near stomata.
- – Since they are dryer (water potential is lower)than their neighboring cells, water moves from the moist cells into the dry cells.
- 2- Root pressure- results from the inward active transpot of solutes from the soil by root cells.
- •Water follows inward by osmosis
- •This causes a chain reaction all the way down to the roots.
- •3- Cohesive/adhesive properties of water
- • Water is pulled up through xylem cells in long, thin columns.