The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When is the best time to avoid sun exposure?
(from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. standard time, or from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daylight savings time)
What's the best question to ask a pt with a skin lesion?
- Has it changed?
- Also, what does the margin look like?
ABCs of skin lesions?
- A- Asymmetry
- B- Border
- C- Color
- D- Diameter
- E- Elevation
What does a basal cell carcinoma look like?
Both basal and squamous cell cancers are found on areas of the skin that are exposed to the sun-the head, face, neck, hands, and arms. However, skin cancer can occur anywhere
What does a melanoma look like?
- Malignant melanoma is the most dangerous type of the skin cancers. Typical features of melanomas include irregular borders, multiple colors within the lesion, rapid growth, and susceptibility to easy injury with bleeding
Tx for lesions?
- Cryotherapy: lesion is burned off using heat.
- Can also use liquid nitrogen (cold)
- or electrodesiccation
- or mechanical curretage
- or lasers. Yeah LASERS!
What is Moh's procedure?
- Series of excisions with careful microscopic tissue assessment to map the presence or absence of malignant cells
- Wound is closed with sutures or flap or allowed to close by secondary intention.
- Is used when lesion is deep into the tissue.
What are some risks for skin cancer?
- Location? (exposure)
- General skin irritation? (i.e., Hx of skin pathologies)
- Skin pigmentation
- Age (very old, very young)