1 - a little more or less than;a little before or after:
- She's about 30 years old.
- There were about 2,000 people at the concert.
- I got there at about two o'clock.
2 - of; on the subject of:
- a book about cats.
- We talked about the problem.
- What are you thinking about?
3 - (also around) in a lot of different directions or places:
- The children were running about in the garden.
- There were books lying about on the floor.
4 - almost; nearly:
Dinner is just about ready.
5 - (also around) in a place; here:
be about to do something
- It was late and there weren't many people
to be going to do something very soon:
The film is about to start