The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the function of the Resp. Sys?
- supply blood with oxygen for transportation in the cells.
- remove CO2 from tissues and blood
Name two resp. tracts.
- upper respiratory tract
- lower respiratory tract
upper respiratory tract
consists of the nose, mouth, pharynx, epiglottis, larynx, and trachea.
lower respiratory tract
consists of the bronchial tree and lungs.
wall of cartilage that divides the nose into two equal sections
- thin hairs located just inside the nostrils
- filter air to remove debris
line the nose, digestive, reproductive, and urinary and other parts of the respiratory system
slippery secretion produced by the mucous membranes that protects and lubricates these tissues.
- nerve endings that act for the sense of smell and important for the sense of taste.
- located in the mucous membrane in the nasal cavity
what do tonsils and adenoids do?
protect the body from infection by filtering air entering the mouth and nose
- air filled cavities lined with mucous membrane
- located in bones within the skull
what are the functions of paranasal sinuses?
- make bones of skull lighter
- help produce sound, voice
- help produce mucus for lubrication for tissues in nasal cavity
types of paranasal tissue?
- frontal sinus: located in the frontal bone, above the eyebrows. an infection can cause pain in this area.
- sphenoid sinus: located in the sphenoid bone behind the eye and under the pituitary gland. It's close to the optic nerves and damage to this area can affect vision.
- maxillary sinus: LARGEST sinus located in the maxillary bones. infection can cause pain in maxillary part of the teeth.
- ethmoid sinus: located in ethmoid bones.
- known as the throat
- made up of three divisions; nasopharynx, oropharynx, and laryngopharynx
- known as voice box
- protected and supported by cartilage and contains vocal chords.
lid like structure at the base of the tongue.
- transports air to and from the lungs
- also known as the windpipe
two large tubes that branch out from the trachea into two lungs.