1. How do labeled lines help nervous system? Example?
2. What are labeled lines used for? (2)
3. What else must you have to retain and process information from labeled lines?
1. Labeled lines enable nervous system to distinguish stimuli as signals ascend through nervous system. For example, brain knows difference between vibration and heat because those information tracks are kept separate
2. To distinguish location (i.e., touch on fingers vs. back), type of stimulus, etc.
3. Lots of cortical neurons to keep location and stimuli separated. For example, you would have a ton of cortical neurons dedicated to finger and lips lines since these have high acuity touch.