ch 13 potus
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
20 sec amendment
passed in 1951, the amendment that limits presidents to two terms of office
- the political equivalent of an indictment in criminal law, prescribed by the constitution.
- House of Reps may impeach the present by a majority vote for "Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors"
The events and scandal surrounding a break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters in 1972 and the subsequent cover-up of White House involvement, leading to the eventual resignation of Pres. Nixon under the threat of impeachment
- passed in 1967
- permits the VP to become acting pres if both the vp and the the pres's cabinet deem the pres as disabled
- also outlines how the recuperated pres can reclaim the job
national security council
- an office created in 1947 to coordinate the president's foreign and military policy advisors
- formal members are pres, vp, sec of state, and sec of defense
- managed by the pres's national security assistant
Council of Economic Advisors
a 3-member body appointed by the pres to advise the pres on economic policy
office of management and budget
- an office that grew out of the Bureau of the Budget
- created in 1921
- consisting of a handful of political appointees and 100s of skilled pros
- performs both managerial and budgetary functions
- the constitutional power of the president to send a bill back to congress with reasons for rejecting it
- 2/3 vote in each house can override a veto
a veto taking place when congress adjourns within 10 days of submitting a bill to the pres, who simply lets it die by neither signing nor vetoing it
- occur when voters cast their ballots for congressional candidates of the pres's party because they support the pres.
- few races won this way
War Powers Resolution
- law passed in 1973 in reaction to American fighting in Vietnam and Cambodia
- requires pres to consult with Congress whenever possible prior to using military forces after 60 days unless Congress declares war or grants an extension
- pres view resolution as unconstitutional
- ability of congress to override a presidential decision
- War Powers Resolution asserts the authority
- reason to believe that, if challenged, the supreme court would find the legislative veto in violation of the doctrine of separation
a sudden, unpredictable, and potentially dangerous event requiring the president to play the role of crisis manager
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview