The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- four chambered pump for the cardiovascular system,
- distributing oxygen and nutrients to cells contained in blood.
- Your heart beats about 100,000 times each day,
- pumping 8000 liters of blood.
- Blood flows through a network of blood vessels that extend between the heart, peripheral tissues, and then back to the heart.
- On its path through the heart, the blood must also travel through the lungs, picking up oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide.
The heart lies between the lungs
- in a region called the mediastinum
- posterior to the sternum
The great veins and arteries are connected to the heart at the
superiorly located base
Blood vessels enter and exit from the _____ of the heart
The lining of the pericardial cavity
Membrane surrounding the heart
- The innermost is the visceral pericardium
- the middle is the parietal pericardium
- the outer extra one, called the fibrous pericardium
There's a tiny space between the visceral pericardium and the parietal pericardium
Inflammation of the pericardium
The heart wall has three layers
- The outer layer, or epicardium, is the the exact same structure we called the visceral pericardium
- The myocardium, the middle layer of the heart wall, is responsible for contraction of cardiac muscle
- The third heart wall layer, found on the inner side of the cardiac muscle, is the endocardium
E.Z. Goen is admitted to the cardiac unit with a diagnosis of endocarditis. When E.Z. asks the nurse where the infection is located, the nurse replies that the infection is in
the inner lining of the heart
The muscle layer of the heart, whose fuction is to act as the pump for the cardiovascular system is the
is the smooth inner lining of the heart chambers
- Superior Vena Cavae & Inferior Vena Cavae
- Right Atrium
- Tricuspid Valve
- Right Ventricle
- Pulmonary Valve
- Pulmonary Trunk
- Pulmonary Veins
- Left Atrium
- Bicuspid Valve
- Left Ventricle
- Aortic Valve
The AV valve (AV means atrio-ventricular) that is located on the same side of the heart as the origin of the aorta is the
- bicuspid valve
- Same side Bi
Blood in the superior vena cava will enter the _____.