Consumer Keys for Avoiding Trans Fatty Acids
• Read the nutrition facts panel. TFA free is defined as ≤0.5 gm/serving.
• Avoid foods with partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list (such as cookies, chips,doughnuts) on the food label.
• Bake with vegetable oils.
• Use margarines that are soft. Choose margarines that are trans fatty acid free.
• Avoid deep-fat fried foods like french fries, corn chips, doughnuts, & chicken nuggets.
• Avoid high meat and dairy product intake as a natural TFA source from bacterial action on unsaturated fatty acids in the ruminants stomach.