Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Lipids in Cancer
Cancer is the 2nd leading
cause of death in Americans.
• It is characterized by uncontrolled cell growth.
• It occurs through a process of initiation,promotion, and progression.
Increased Cancer Risk by Lifestyle Practices
Smoking tobacco, UV light, Obesity,Sedentary Lifestyle
Increased Cancer Risk by Dietary Practices
– ~ 45% of all cancer deaths are diet-related
– Low F&V, antioxidant nutrient, & fiber intake
– High total fat and PUFA, sodium intake
– P:S ≥3:1 + high fat diet = cancer risk
– P:S ≤0.33:1 (or ≤1:3) + high fat diet = heart disease risk
Sample P:S Ratio Calculation
- • Kathy ate a high fat diet.
- --– 104 gm PUFA & 30 gm SFA
- • What is her P:S ratio?
- --104 ÷ 30 = 3.47. This # is placed in the P position of the ratio
- -– The S position is always assigned the # 1
• The P:S is 3.47:1
- • Is the ratio increasing disease risk?
- -– This P:S ratio is increasing risk for cancer
- -– Remember that you do want enough PUFA to get your essential (linoleic and alpha-linolenic)fatty acid needs met.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview