Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Anti-Anxiety or Anxiolytic Medications?
- Librium (chlordizepoxide)
- Xana (alprazolam)
- Valium (diazepam)
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- Klonipin (clonazepam)
- Restoril (temazepam)
- Dalmane (flurazepam)
- Tranxene (clorazepate)
- Serax (oxazepam)
It is an effective treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and when anxiety and depressive symptoms occur togther.
Lopressor & Inderal reduce the physiological syptoms of anxiety (eg. racing heart) which makes them particularly effective with anticipatory anxiety.
Benadryl and Vistaril are used less frequently in the treatment of anxiety. They are rapidly absorbed and have a sedative effect.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants (this class of medication inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and serotonin):
- Elavil; Sinequan; Pamelor; Anafranil; Vivatyl; Tofranil; Norpramin; Surmontil; and Aventyl.
This class of medication affect serotonin and norepinephrine: Ludiomil and Remeron. Comon side effects: include drownsiness, gastrointestinal upset, nightmares, tiredness, sunlight skin sensitivity.
MAO Inhibitors's medications?
- Nardil (phenelzine)
- Parnate (tranylcypromine)
- Marplan (isocarboxazid)
- Emsam (selegiline)
- These meds are prescribed to treat depression. Common side effect includes dry mouth, dizziness, insomia, weakness, hypotension, sexual dysfunction, weight gain. When taking MAO Inhibitors, avoid cheese, chocolate, yogurt because it combined with tyramine may result in extreme hypertension and death.
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)?
- Prozax (fluxetine)
- Paxil (paroxetine)
- Zoloft (sertaline)
- Celexa (citalopram)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Luvox (fluvoxamine)
- Pexera (paroexetine-mesylate)
- Sarafem (fluoxetine-hydrochloride): prescribed for premenstrual Dysporic disorder.
- These meds are prescribed antidepressants in many countries.
- Common side effect include headach, nausea, anxiety, constipation, dry mouth, sexual dysfunction, sedation.
Antipsychotic (also called major tranquilizers or neuroleptics)?
- Thorazine (chlorpromazine)
- Mellaril (thioridazine)
- Stelazine (trifluoperazine)
- Haldol (haloperidol)
- Prolixin (fluphenazine)
- Navane (thiothizene)
- Trilafon (perphanazine)
- Orap (pimozide) Used for Tourette's Disorder.
- Primarily used to manage psychosis (including delusions or hallucinations, as well as disordered thought, particulary in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Clozaril (clozapine)
- Risperdal (risperidone)
- Zyprexa (olanzapine)
- Abilify (aripiprazole)
- Seroquel (quetiapine)
- Fanapt, Fanapta (iloperidone)
- Loxitane (loxapine)
- Invega (paliperidone)
- These meds are known as second generation antipsychotics are drugs used to treat psychiatric conditions. Common side effects include Dystonias, Akathisia, Parkinsonian symptoms,Tardive Dyskinesia. Drugs used to address side effects: Cogentin, Benadryl, and Artane.
Mood Stabilizers meds?
- Eakalith, Lithobid (lithium, lithum citrate)
- Depakote (divalproex sodium) (an anticonvulsant)
- Lamictal (lamotrigine - an anticonvulsant)
- Neurontin (gabapentin)
- Topamax (topiramate - an anticonvulsant)
- Tegretol (carbamazepine)
- Tripletal (oxacarbazpine)
- Zyprexa (olanzepine)
- Geodon (ziprasidone)
- Symbyax (combination of zyprexz and prozac) used to treat the depressive epsiode of Bipolar disorder as well as Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective Disorder.
- These meds are used to treat mood disorders characterized by intense and sustained mood shifts, typically bipolar disorder. Common Side Effects include weight gain, sleepiness, diarrhea, dry mouth, increased appetite, weakness, swelling of hands and feet, tremors, sore throat, difficulty concentrating.
- Ritalin, Daytrana, Metadate, Methylin
- Dexedrine, Dextrostat
- Adderall (amphetamine)
- Concerta (methylphenidate)
- Vyanse (lisdexafetamine dimesylate)
- Dexozyn (methamphetamine)
- Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)
- These drugs are typically used to treat ADHD, can also used for Narcolepsy and obesity, and have a high abuse potential.
- Common side effects include insomia, loss of appetite, anxiety, gastrointestinal pain, and cardiac arrhythmia.Strattera (atomoxetine-non-stimulant; a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor to treat ADHD)
- Catapress (clonidine),Tenex (gunfacine)
- Intinv (guanfacine) These medications are prescribed for tics, impulsivity and aggressive behaviors.