chapter 4 psych.txt
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How long do sleep cycles last?
What occurs during stage 1 of the sleep cycle?
- transition between wake and sleep
- lasts fiew minutes
- rapid and low brain waves
What occurs during stage 2 of the sleep cycle?
- slower more regular wave paterns
- occational dips in the pictures
- makes up half of the sleep of people in their early 20s
What occurs during stage 3 of the sleep cycle?
slow brain waves with greater peaks and valleys
What occurs during stage 4 of the sleep cycle?
- least responsive to outside stimulation
- slower more regular brain waves
when does stage 3 and 4 dominate in the night?
when does stage 1 and 2 dominate?
What is manifest content?
storyline of a dream
what is latent content?
unerlying meaning of the dream
What is activation-synthesis?
- brain produces random elect. activity during REM
- that stimulates random memories in the dream
What is narcolepsy?
- uncontrollable sleeping that occurs for short periods of time
- person goes from wake to REM sleep
When do night terrors accur?
- during stage 4
- sleeping is easy after
when oes nightmares occur?
during REM sleep
What is circadian rythms?
- a biological process that repeats in 24 hour cycles
- ex. sleeping, waking body temps, hormones
What is seasonal affective disorder?
form of depression during the winter and lifts during the rest of the year
What is a psychoative drug?
a drug that influences a persons emotions, perceptions, and behavior
What is the most common drug of highschoolers?
- alcohol 43%
- mj 34%
- cigs. 20%
What do narcotics do?
- increase relation and releive pain
What constitutes binge drinking in men and women?
- 5 drinks in 1 sitting for males
- 4 drinks in 1 sitting for females
What is rohypnol?
date rape drug
What is methadone?
- a treatment for heroin users
- patient ends up with a need for methadone. s
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview