1. What causes hyponatremia?: What happens to salt (4) and water (5) to cause it?
3. Is there toxicity of Na+?
4. Who is more at risk for high salt? Why? (4)
5. What is the Na:K ratio important for?
1. Excess excretion of salt - poor sodium intake, increased urinary excretion, increased GI loss, sweating.
Water: excessive intake, high oxidative phosphorylation, decreased urinary output, decreased GI loss, decreased sweating.
- 3. No
- 4. African Americans - more salt-sensitive, obesity, diabetes, higher K+ intake?
- 5. Hypertension - increased Na+ --> increased blood pressure.